Skip to main content

Ode to a Grasshopper by Pedro Pietri | Poem - literatureguider.blogspot.com

BY PEDRO PIETRI
(I hope)
the only reason
That I am this pre-autumn
Afternoon in the privacy
Of my suspicious living room
Grant myself permission
To believe in god once again
Is solely because I saw
An unexpected grasshopper
Staring at my thoughts
On the table that keeps
The telephone from having
A mind of its very own
At first I was startled
And then I was startled less
At the sight of this insect
Put together in green details
To pay me an afternoon visit
39 floors above floor level
In my High Rise Hobo apartment
Miracle on 53rd street
Grasshopper hopped all the way
39 floors above floor level
To deliberately invade my privacy
And I didn't mind at all
After grasshopper assured me
It didn't speak English or Spanish
Or Chinese with an Italian accent
So we hit it off right away
You mind your own business
And I will not ask you
Any personal questions aside
From how the hell did you get here
I've never written a poem
About grasshoppers this high up before
And I know it wasn't something
My non existing paint brushes
Conceived behind my back and
The only grass I have here is
To smoke & not hop around in
Until I get dizzy and levitate
There has to be a mistake
Or did the grasshopper take
The elevator to the 39th floor
And enter my apartment without knocking
To make it obvious grasshoppers
Have the right to remain silent also
And give credit to the desert
For his arrival and not no Almighty
The only other mystery capable

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Dog Has Died by Pablo Neruda | Poem Summary and Analysis - literatureguider.blogspot.com

A Dog Has Died Pablo Neruda Analysis of “The poem…reflects the choices consciously or unconsciously made concerning the subject positions, community affiliations, and meaning making activities of self understanding, represented in written language. Poetic identity (or range of identities)…can be interpreted in the writing…of the poem” (Hanauer, 59). There are many ways of interpreting poetry: some are viable, some are not; some work with specific poems only, others are good for general study. Looking at a poem as a “window to the soul of the poet” is often a dangerous psychologi cal game, where we more often than not, invent the person behind the poem. “Dangerous” here, referring to the danger of untruth , or in the case of poets we know, the danger of misjudgment. However, psychoanalysis through poetry can be done, only carefully and with great room for error. Oftentimes, the poet’s meaning does not come across perfectly in his/her poetry, especially when it comes to more a

Analysis of Ode to Tomatoes by Pablo Neruda | Poem Summary and Analysis - literatutreguider.blogspot.com

Ode to Tomatoes 🍅 Ode to Tomatoes is a beautiful poem written by spanish poet Pablo Neruda, with this the poet wants that everyone should learn to embrace the usual things in life that are often seen as dull, and find the beauty within them. Table of Content Ode to Tomatoes Summary   Ode to Tomatoes Analysis Summary  The cultivation of tomato has turned  out to be  fruitful and thus the streets are full with  vegetable vendors selling tomato and the tomato  juice. Then it's December afternoon where now  tomatoes are being used for cooking the dishes  in the kitchen where it is sliced and added with  onions, olives, potatoes with pepper and salt.  Then the tomato dishes are being served at the  various occasions like wedding day.  Then tomato is shown as a perfect fruit which  showers only goodness to others. Analysis In Ode to Tomatoes, Neruda emphasize on the art for glorifying the most common he takes things that we might view as commonplace and describes how extraordinary they